Before leaving your child in the care of ANYONE else, ask yourself these questions:
—> Does your partner/babysitter:
• Expect your child to do things that are not realistic for his/her age?
• Overreact when your child breaks rules or does not follow directions?
• Show anger or impatience when your child cries or throws a tantrum?
• Call your child bad names or say mean things to your child?
• Think it is funny to scare your child?
• Say you are a bad parent and not strict enough?
• Hurt your child or punish them in any way you are not comfortable with or have not agreed to?
• Handle guns and knives around your child?
• Think your child is a bother and gets in the way?
• Drink alcohol in excess or use drugs around your child?
• Have experience of or know how to take good care of a child?
• Have any history of violence or aggressive outbursts?
• Have the maturity required to care for a child?
—> Does your child:
• Seem unhappy or uncomfortable in any way around your partner/babysitter?
• Change demeanour or behaviour around or immediately after being with this person (eg becomes louder/quieter, becomes disruptive/withdrawn, speaks about inappropriate things etc)
• Feel unable to talk to you about a problem (if age appropriate)?
• Know what is acceptable/unacceptable treatment?
If you have answered yes to even one of these questions, your child could be at risk.
Do the right thing, do not allow anyone to watch your child if you are not 100% certain that they will care for your baby as you would. If you are not certain, YOU COULD BE MAKING A DEADLY MISTAKE.
SIGN this petition asking government to make it harder for abusers to prey on children by duping their families: